Summary of Opportunity
Jostin is hiring a Manager, Employee Development & Retention. This position reports to the Director, Human Resources. The Manager, Employee Development & Retention will focus on creating an outstanding new hire experience as well as creating and managing personal success plans for employees. This person will develop a company-wide training and development strategy and framework. This person will oversee and/or execute various retention initiatives and may administer focus groups, assemble pilot programs, and find other ways to gather information to determine how Jostin can retain its best and brightest employees to help us usher in a new phase of immense success and long-term growth. Monitoring and reporting progress, and measuring individual initiative success, will be an important part of this role.
This person will design and execute a plan to further integrate a continuous learning culture into the Jostin ‘Why’ while embracing Jostin’s six values. The ability to connect with and build relationships across the organization is important – this person will work with senior leadership, middle management, and frontline employees, both in the field and in the office. This person will frequently visit Jostin’s various job sites throughout the service region and will, on occasion, meet with employees outside of traditional office hours. Our teams work within a 125-mile radius of Cincinnati; hours vary from pre-dawn to evening.
If you desire to make a difference in people’s lives by improving their professional experience, helping them learn and grow, and serving as an ally; AND if you are motivated by building new systems and processes, are both analytical and strategic, aren’t afraid of developing expertise in new, challenging areas, and are comfortable on a job site and behind a desk, this might be the job for you.
Compensation for this position is based on experience and skillset. Jostin compensates employees fairly and monitors market dynamics to ensure compensation packages are competitive and meet employee need. This position is paid an annual salary plus annual bonus based on individual performance. In addition to other generous benefits, this position is eligible for a 3% match to a Simple IRA with full, immediate vesting.
Training & Development
- Develops a company-wide learning and development strategy that is based on skill and knowledge gap analysis, long-term and short-term organizational goals, immediate business needs, and individual career path goals.
- Assembles a diversified library of trainings that cover the full-spectrum of topics and required expertise to run the business. This includes office professional and field professional skillsets and knowledgebase.
- Develops trainings from scratch, relying on adult learning principals and intimate knowledge of the learning styles of Jostin’s employee population. Trainings shall take a variety of forms and delivery methods, including but not limited to: in-person classroom, in-person demonstration, video instruction, online modules, written guides, micro-learning sessions, group discussion, presentation, and more.
- Evaluates and selects external training partners, curriculum, or resources, including local colleges and universities, trade schools, off-the-shelf curriculum, videos, books, and more.
- Builds analytics and KPI’s to assess and analyze skill building, field professional productivity, quality, and employee growth and development.
- Utilizes Jostin’s HRIS, or identify other software or systems to efficiently track training and development activity, report on metrics, and generally monitor activity.
- Establishes ways for employees to register for training, attend trainings, or access tools, recordings or resources.
- Partners with employees and leadership to create and monitor individual development plans.
- Provides coaching and training to managers, supervisors, and others involved in the training and development process.
- Partners with management and HR of hi-potential employees for succession planning purposes.
- Manages and monitors training budgets and costs.
New Employee Experience
- Manage the Jostin Ally Program.
- Cultivates and supports employee engagement initiatives that incorporate and promote Jostin’s values and culture with the goal and measured outcome of increasing retention through improved employee job satisfaction, loyalty, sense of community, and financial security.
- Serves as project manager or implementation specialist of various retention initiatives proposed by leadership. Provides best practice guidance, perform research, share information and develop expertise as required for each initiative.
- Monitors and measures the effectiveness of the above initiatives, as well as Learning & Development activities, through the development of scorecards and utilization of Jostin’s HRIS.
- Visits and engages with Jostin field professionals regularly.
- Collaborates with HR on employee referral program.
This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. This individual will perform other reasonably related business duties as assigned.
Skills & Qualifications
- Demonstrated ability to think analytically and strategically. Evidence of performing high-level thinking work with a long-term view, as well as day-to-day execution of detailed work and discrete small tasks.
- Experience building significant processes, systems, plans or programs from scratch.
- Experience developing and evaluating training and development programs, methods, and materials. Experience with some form of content creation and curriculum design.
- The ability to demonstrate strong instructional skills such as questioning, discussing, direction-giving, explaining, and demonstrating. Experience with public speaking, facilitating large group discussion, formal presentation, teaching, and or other interactive people-facing activities.
- Evidence of being technologically savvy, a continuous learner and innovative thinker.
- The ability to communicateeffectively with leadership, colleagues, and staff, build trust and earn respect.
- Existing knowledge of or a commitment to quickly build knowledge of construction industry practices, materials, methods and tools involved in construction.
- Ability to lead, motivate, direct and develop people as they work, identifying the strengths of each person and opportunities for change.
- The skill to provide guidance and direction, including setting performance goals and monitoring job site performance.
- Demonstrated ability to manage conflict and problem-solve complex issues.
- Demonstrated ability to think creatively by looking at things differently, bringing new perspectives, and finding new ways to solve problems.
Experience & Other Requirements
- Minimum of an Associate’s Degree in Education, (Bachelor’s Degree preferred), HR, Risk Management, Organizational Development/Design, Safety or another related field.
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in teaching/education, training, safety, compliance or in another HR role with significant exposure to the aforementioned.
- HR certification (e.g., SHRM’s CP), ATD certification or a commitment to receive certification within six months. Existing training certifications are a plus and will be heavily weighted.
- Certification in OSHA 30 or a commitment to receive certification.
- Given that local travel will be required, applicant must possess a valid Driver’s License with acceptable driving record.
This person will work in a typical modern office environment (50%) as well as on job sites (50%). The job sites are typical of those found in the commercial building construction industry. Job sites are outdoors and will require employee to be in all forms of inclement weather. A review of safety principles will be provided. Job sites will contain loud noises and ear plugs may be required at times. Employee dress will range from business casual to that appropriate on a job site. Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) will be provided. Employee required to provide personal steel-toed shoes.
Given that a significant portion of this role is related to employee relationship-building, training, and performance, it is necessary that this person meet with employees during their scheduled work time. This means this role will regularly meet employees on job sites during early morning and evening hours. The work day will be adjusted to reflect this. This is a salaried position, but work hours are expected to approximate 40 hours per week – days and times may vary. This role may require additional hours periodically, including evenings and weekends, depending on company needs. Our goal is to ensure every employee has a healthy work life balance. Employee will be required to travel to job sites up to 125 miles away and should have a valid driver’s license with an acceptable driving record. The Jostin office environment is traditional office space. We encourage an open-door environment given our focus on collaboration and partnership.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Jostin Construction Inc. provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, genetics, family-status, socio-economic status, veteran- or military-status. In addition to federal law requirements, Jostin Construction Inc. complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.